Experience the vibrant colours and unique textures of the world’s largest coral reef.
Visit the Great Barrier Reef and take in the spectacular underwater terrain which makes up 2,600kms of reef system. Take a day trip out to sea and try your hand at scuba diving or snorkelling to get up-close and personal with the schools of colourful fish and vibrant coral cays. The Great Barrier Reef provides an unforgettable experience for those of all ages.
Read on to discover more about the Great Barrier Reef, or find accommodation now.
GREAT BARRIER REEF FACTS
- The reef is the largest living structure in the world.
- The Great Barrier Reef can be seen from outer space.
- There are over 600 types of coral, 100 species of jelly fish and over 1600 species of fish in the Great Barrier Reef.
- There are more than 2900 individual coral reefs on the site.
- The Great Barrier Reef is larger than the combined area of Victoria and Tasmania.
GREAT BARRIER REEF INFORMATION
Tropical North Queensland offers a warm balmy climate with refreshing sea breezes all year round. The area experiences two seasons. A wet season which characterised by humid conditions and high rainfall and a dry season characterised by warm weather and low rainfall.
- Dry Season: May - October
- Wet Season: November - April
Great Barrier Reef Tours
There are an abundance of tours exploring the Great Barrier Reef perfect for serious divers, first-time snorkellers or those who wish to stay well and truly on the boat.
GREAT BARRIER REEF ACCOMMODATION
The world heritage-listed Great Barrier Reef is most easily accessed from Cairns, with many accommodation options available for those wanting to visit the Great Barrier Reef, Australia’s most magnificent marine attraction.